1. FEDERAL CONSERVATIVES BACKTRACK ON THE “STEAL THE ELECTION” ACT Breaking news as I’m typing this: the Harper government is reversing itself on its very controversial election reform legislation that basically everyone screamed was a blatant attempt to suppress the votes of people unlikely to vote for Conservatives. This is big news and good news.
2. HOW ABOUT THAT TEMPORARY FOREIGN WORKER STUFF? As you all probably heard late yesterday, the program has been suspended for restaurants, including fast food outlets like McDonald’s and a Weyburn restaurant that’s now being investigated for abusing the program. The restaurant in Weyburn that made national news. McDonald’s CEO called this controversy “bullshit”, and business lobby groups have defended the program and warned that its loss will harm the restaurant industry. The truth of the matter is, restaurants don’t pay Canadian workers enough to ensure they have a loyal, stable workforce, and the TFW program was a way for them to continue to pay substandard wages. The program also apparently increased unemployment in Western Canada. Also, John Gormley has a column that’s worth a read on the topic. Yes, really. Let’s not use this problem to bash foreign workers.
7. AWFUL STORY ABOUT MURDERED CATS Don’t even read it.
8. ESTEVAN FLUORIDE REFERENDUM: MENTIONED IT YESTERDAY, HERE’S MORE In the Leader-Post.
9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCIENCE CENTRE! An excellent Regina, nay, provincial institution turns 25. The Leader-Post has photos.
10. NEW WOLFCOP TRAILER! I’m biased, but… this looks objectively good. Should be a dirty, gory, hairy hoot! Can’t wait!