1. SPEAKING POWER TO TRUTH Murray Mandryk, John Gormley and Edmonton Journal political cartoonist Malcolm Mayes all go after Neil Young on page A6 of today’s Leader-Post. Mandryk says that if the political left wants people to listen, they need to speak with humility and use only approved metaphors, while Gormley puts forward the argument that no one can criticize anything unless they themselves live perfect, morally pure lives (and also bashes Young’s “pseudo-science and ignorance”, by which I assume he means global warming, which John does not accept to be true.) Mayes is, well, just another unfunny political cartoonist.
2. BRAD WALL SAYS NEIL YOUNG IS WRONG Oh, well then I guess Young must be wrong. Wait! Ex-tarsands worker Dale Aikman says Neil Young might be right! You guys can sort it all out for yourselves here.
3. BETWEEN NEIL YOUNG AND THESE “GOT LAND? THANK AN INDIAN” HOODIES THERE’S GONNA BE SOME FROSTY CONVERSATIONS AROUND SASK DINNER TABLES THIS MONTH Can’t we all just get along and not be racist?
4. THE GLOBE THEATRE BUYS THE BUILDING Good announcement for the Globe and the downtown.
5. OBAMA SAYS HE’LL FIX NSA FUCKERY Can Barack Obama rein in the out-of-control National Security Administration’s surveillance regime (that Bush and Cheney started)?
6. “THE GAYS ARE WELCOME IN SOCHI”: PUTIN As long as they don’t talk or act gay. Because think of the children.
HEY EVERYONE, IT’S OUR FRIEND TAR SANDS TIMMY! Hooray! Everything’s going to be okay!
More awesome Mark Fiore animation here.