1. FOSSIL FOOLS How can Saskatchewan’s dinosaur industry be lagging? (CBC Saskatchewan?) Don’t you know who we send to Parliament?
2. SILENCING A VOICE I saw Maureen Forrester only once, at a benefit performance at the Northern Arts Centre in Yellowknife in 1989, and she was in fine form. She passed away last night at the age of 79. (Globe and Mail) She was everything a Canadian diva should be.
3. JUST A PART OF BUSINESS If you think what’s hasppening with the Deepwater Horizon is bad, take a look at oil spills in Nigeria (the Guardian).
4. THOU SHALL NOT WORSHIP ANY GRAVEN IMAGES OF ME A six story statue of Jesus Christ got struck by lighting over the weekend. I wonder why Americans don’t consider that to be a sign from God … (Toronto Star)
5. ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS A Canadian documentary filmmaker has won a libel suit he made against a former Canadian ambassador to Guatemala over a documentary about mining practices of a Canadian company in Central America. (Toronto Star)
6. IT’S NOT THEIR FAULT THEY’RE IN THE WRONG BUSINESS The Canadian Wheat Board and other farm groups say the railway companies are overcharging farmers more than $200 million a year (Leader-Post). In reply, the railway officials were unable to respond because their mouths were stuffed with $100 bills.