1. 4.3 PER CENT PROPERTY TAX INCREASE PROPOSED Water and sewer rates will also go up by 8 per cent if the budget is approved. 0.45 per cent of the property tax increase would go towards the stadium. I believe one poster on CBC’s website put it best: Regina has all the costs of a much larger city, but none of the benefits.
2. BALONEY AND THE CPC INCOME-SPLITTING PLAN According to the Canadian Press’s Baloney Meter (yes, that exists, and it’s awesome), Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau’s claim the Conservative’s income-splitting plan will only benefit 15 per cent of Canadians, meaning the other 85 per cent will see nothing, is “no baloney.”
3. THE HISTORY OF GHOMESHI AND THE CBC Anne Kingston writes on how former Q host Jian Ghomeshi cultivated a “progressive” image, using it to draw in women and viewers alike, which masked manipulative, narcissistic and aggressive behaviour she argues was evident all the way back to his university days.
4. CANADA MAY ORDER F-35 JETS FROM U.S. So, apparently the Harper government is looking to order some jets quietly, despite criticisms surrounding their actual cost. Transparency? Public accountability? Who needs those things, right?
5. CONSERVATIVES “USING” PROSTITUTES No, not their services, but as a way to make their narrative of prostitution fit together and justify Bill C-36, argues Tabitha Southey. It plays upon the trope of the “hooker with a heart of gold,” Southey argues, by reassuring prostitutes don’t choose to go into sex work, they’re forced into it by some bad guy or another – throwing out the agency of the actual women.
6. FIRST ABORIGINAL SOCCER STAR INDUCTED IN HALL OF FAME Harry Manson of the Snuneymuxw First Nation on Vancouver Island is set to be inducted into the Soccer Hall of Fame, around a hundred years after he first hit the pitch.
7. RETAINING SASK DOCTORS The Saskatchewan Medical Association had a meeting Friday morning to discuss what can be done to engage doctors in our province.
8. RING ROAD SPEED CAMERAS The Ring Road is getting speed cameras at last! Will it slow down some of the maniacs treating the highway like the Indy 500? Doubtful, but one can hope!
Here’s this week’s song, well known among racing sim fans, it’s Moon Over The Castle from Gran Turismo on the original Playstation: