1. BIRTH CONTROL CONTRACT: PROFIT BEFORE PEOPLE Annoying. Anyone who takes daily medication, which also includes anti-depressants, knows about the annoyance of month-by-month dispensing. It’s stupid for something as essential as the pill.
2. SASKATOON STAND-OFF ENDS PEACEFULLY Read all about it.
3. IT’S ONLY BEEN 30-DEGREES PLUS TWICE THIS SUMMER Good thing too, since our office air conditioning is broken.
4. A LONG OVERDUE LANDMARK IN MATH Iranian mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani, who teaches at Stanford university, won a Fields medal for her work in complicated math geometry. She’s the first woman ever to win one of the medals, named after the Canadian mathematician who established the award which was first given out in 1936,which seems insane since it’s 2014. Fifty-five men have also won medals. The Guardian has more.
5. SIX PEOPLE KILLED TRYING TO DIFFUSE AN ISRAELI BOMB Awful.
7. UGANDA GAY-BASH LAW
OVERTURNED TO BE REINSTATED? I think missed the news that Uganda’s evil and potentially lethal anti-gay law, which is presumably supported by anti-gay activists like Bill Whatcott and Peter Labarbera, was overturned. Fear not, Western bigots who enable prejudices in African leaders: a version of it might return.
8. WIEBE ESSENTIALLY STEPS ASIDE FOR MEILI Looks like Saskatoon permanently blew its chance to elect infinitely-better-than-Kelly-Block NDP candidate Nettie Wiebe as an MP. Two-time provincial NDP leadership candidate Ryan Meili seems like a very good consolation prize, though. Look forward to him making a Saskatoon West run official.
9. FIRST NATIONS CONTINUE TO LEAD THE FIGHT AGAINST MINING DEVASTATION BC’s Neskonlith nation tell the mining company behind the catastrophic Mount Polley breach to take a hike. Meanwhile, The Province’s Michael Smyth makes the case for improved whistleblower protection.
10. SORRY ISN’T GOOD ENOUGH Toronto Councillor Doug Ford fumbles an apology to former Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair.
VIDEO: HOW THE SCOTTISH INVENT GOLF “Here’s my idea for a fuckin’ sport. You knock a ball in a gopher hole.” “Oh, you mean like pool?” “Fuck off pool! Not with a straight stick, with a little fucked-up stick!” One of Robin William’s all-time best comedy bits.