1. NERDGASM ON AISLE FOUR: SPIDER-MAN JOINS MCU As Shane reported last night, the walloping web-slinger is about to join the Marvel cinematic universe (MCU). Will he still be played by Andrew Garfield? Should a black actor be cast in the role? What are the consequences for Marvel’s currently scheduled movies? What does Headgeek at Ain’t It Cool News have to say about all this… oh, Harry’s busy gushing over Jupiter Ascending? Never mind. Finally, are Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman gonna be in another X-movie together? Well, that’s not Spider-News but it IS neat.
2. PRODUCE IS COMING TO SHOPPER’S DRUG MART?!?!? This is great. Terrible access to produce for people who keep wacky hours is one of the things that’s brutally wrong with this city. I’ll probably get about 15 per cent healthier. Probably save a lot of money, too.
3. HARASS THE DEAD Rehtaeh Parsons tormentors just won’t quit.
4. NOT TOUCHING THIS WITH A 10-FOOT STRIPPER POLE The Saskatchewan government is happy to let Regina make its own weird decisions on where it will and won’t allow strip clubs.
5. A CALL TO BOYCOTT 50 SHADES OF GREY The movie that’s supposed to be about BDSM is actually about abuse, says a Saskatchewan women’s shelter administrator, and we should all boycott it and donate money to shelters. I think she might be right, we’ll see when the reviews come out. As a (boring vanilla) ally of kinksters everywhere, I say there’s a special place in hell for movies and books that mischaracterize BDSM play (which requires consent, negotiating boundaries and generally behaving like a responsible, grown-up). One question though: how do I boycott a movie I have zero interest in seeing?
6. REGINA CONSIDERS CHANGES TO RECYCLING PROGRAM… Wait, we have recycling in this city?
7. GAY CHAOS IN ALABAMA Hilarious stupidity continues in a redneck wasteland.
8. STOCKWELL DAY BEDEVILED BY MAKE-BELIEVE ACTIVIST JUDGES A religious extremist former politician who has said there is scientific support for creationism (which is a lie) has “opinions”. How cute. Also, it’s not “activism” when judges interpret the law. That’s what judges do.
9. WINNIPEG HAS A WEIRD EVANDER KANE HANG-UP Ryan Lambert reviews the ongoing drama on the Puck Daddy blog.
10. REMEMBER HOTEL CLEANING LADY MOLESTER AND FORMER INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND CHIEF DOMINIQUE STRAUSS-KAHN? He’s on trial in France for rape.
VIDEO: THE AMAZING SPIDER-DAD Here’s a heart-warming vid of a terminally-ill kid getting a wall-crawling surprise on his birthday. Jayden Wilson passed away in December, but at least he got to meet his hero.