1. AS YOU KNOW, BORING, PERFECT CANADA DEFEATED THE FORMERLY HIGH-SCORING U.S. I have no problems with one-goal games, but these players are too well-coached and too in control. I like hockey better when it’s frantic and played on the edge. Mistakes and art go together. Anyway, we won, yay. Eric Duhatschek liked the game more than I did.
2. MORE IMPORTANTLY, SOME SASK BARS WILL BE OPEN SUNDAY MORNING FOR THE GOLD MEDAL GAME *Thumbs up*
3. HARPER GOVERNMENT BRINGS IN NEW FUEL EFFICIENCY LABELS FOR CARS Sounds okay I guess? Dunno. Would prefer new fuel efficiency requirements, though.
4. TWO SOLDIERS ARRESTED FOR HOMOPHOBIC DEEDS Homophobia is dumb and mean, and it gets people into trouble.
5. ALSO, ARIZONA’S SENATE PASSES A BILL TO ALLOW BUSINESSES TO SERVE GAY AND LESBIANS Well, that wasn’t very tolerant of them. Here’s one anti-bigot viewpoint from Arizona, and here’s an amusing middle finger to the Republican AZ legislators who want these laws. And here’s a must-read Andrew Sullivan column on the difference between religious freedom and bigotry. Excerpt:
For me, with devout Catholics, the acid test is divorce. The bar on divorce – which, unlike the gay issue, is upheld directly by Jesus in the Gospels – is just as integral to the Catholic meaning of marriage as the prohibition on gay couples. So why no laws including that potential violation of religious liberty? Both kinds of marriage are equally verboten in Catholicism. So where is the political movement to insist that devout Catholics do not have to cater the second weddings of previously divorced people?
6. VENEZUELA: MEDIA CLAMPDOWN Not good.
7. UKRAINE: EARLY ELECTION Let’s hope it helps end the violence.
8. THE BEST OF FOOD READER’S CHOICE POLL IS ONLINE! Yeah! This is the nomination round! Pick your favourite food places and people! There are priiiiiiiiizes!