1. MICHELE SEREDA’S LIFE CELEBRATED Great tribute for a beloved artist who brought people together yesterday. So many came out: First Nations, artists, members of the LGBT community, professors, and even a few politicians (and obviously many of these people represent multiple communities). One of the speakers (I think it was Joey Trembley) said Sereda’s highest value was “difference”. To see so many people from such wildly different backgrounds in a room together was proof that she lived that value.
2. CITY COUNCIL TO CALL FOR INQUIRY INTO MISSING AND MURDERED INDIGENOUS WOMEN Good for Regina city council!
3. ALBERTA BEEF GETS BANNED Mad cow is baaaaack.
4. DID ISRAELI PM NETANYAHU LIE ABOUT IRAN’S BOMB READINESS? Tsk.
5. LEONARD NIMOY HOSPITALIZED WITH SEVERE CHEST PAINS Worrying news.
6. MENTALLY ILL KILLER MAY GET MORE FREEDOM Vince Li was found not criminally responsible for a brutal Greyhound Bus killing. He’s responded well to treatment and has been a model patient, so he might soon get more freedom. Though doubtless he’ll be checking in with doctors regularly for the rest of his life.
7. NOT SO GREAT Beloved hockey hero Wayne Gretzky has opinions on who should be Ontario’s next Progressive Conservative leader. So Wayne’s a Conservative, eh? I wonder what attracts him to that party. Is it the fact that Conservatives these days are consistently the most racist of political parties? Is it the fact that Conservatives favour smaller governments that benefit the wealthy at the expense of the rest of us? Is it an attraction to social conservative ideas like women staying home to raise kids or raising often-retrograde religious values over secular, fact-based humanistic ones? Does he support the Conservatives’ demonstrated hostility towards science, towards fact-based public policy, towards investment in needed public services like health care and early child development (though I’m confident he DOES approve of publicly subsidized hockey rinks and NHL arenas)?
Maybe Wayne just always liked Mike Harris? That guy was great; remember when his cutbacks resulted in contaminated water that killed people in Walkerton?
The article says Gretzky’s a Harper supporter, too. I guess he likes muzzled civil servants, secret police and climate change-causing economic development? Yeah, Conservatives are awesome, good job Wayne. Thanks for being a voice for a better Canada.
VIDEO: BAD DAY TO BE A CRAB Holy smokes, this octopus. Pow! Story here.