1. THE GAMES ARE OVAAAH! The CBC’s Nahlah Ayed shares some thoughts on what they meant for Russian president Vladimir Putin. Ayed, incidentally, will deliver the University of Regina’s Minifie Lecture this year. It’ll be a good one.
2. BLING FOR REGINA Three Reginans picked up medals in Sochi. Can you name them all without clicking this link?
3. EARLY MORNING PUB PARTY Reginans got up early to watch yesterday’s gold medal game at their favourite and/or closest watering holes. I was at O’Hanlon’s for the third period, and it was an epic and spectacular party.
4. THE NDP DEMANDS HEARINGS ON ELECTION LAW CHANGES To a lot of people, these changes look like an attack on democracy.
6. MONDAY NIGHT PROPERTY TAX PARTY City council debates a tax hike tonight. Taxes pay for infrastructure and services that we need, so let’s all be grown-up and realistic about this.
7. NOT IN MY BACKYARD Reginans protest an apartment complex planned for their neighbourhood, I assume because they would rather not live in a real city. Well, um, they do live in a real city — and cities have apartments. (That said, we need new apartments going up in the downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods, so if the city wants to send those this way, that’d be great.)
10. WOW, UGANDA IS JUST A BIGOT JAMBOREE THESE DAYS The country’s president signs off on more stupid anti-gay laws. Time for international sanctions, not to mention condemnation of the U.S. bigot behind this evil shit.
12. EGYPT IS BROKEN The government resigns.