1. SASK FLOOD COULD COST $360 MILLION Hmm. Two major floods in four years. That’s a little unusual. I wonder how insurance companies feel about governments ignoring climate change?
2. ALSO, IT WAS THE RAINIEST JUNE EVER I’m sure it’s just a coincidence and not climate change in action.
3. IT’S NOT GLOBAL WARMING! IT’S A “ONCE IN A GENERATION RAIN!” This Leader-Post’s editorial omits an important detail.
4. U.K. INFORMATION COMMISSIONER INVESTIGATES SECRET FACEBOOK PSYCHOLOGY EXPERIMENTS Yup. Why isn’t Canada investigating?
5. “I WOULD LIKE A LESS HYSTERICAL TAKE ON FACEBOOK’S PSYCHOLOGY EXPERIMENTS, PLEASE.” Okay, here you go.
6. THE PERCENTAGE OF WOMEN ON FEDERAL BOARDS HAS DECLINED UNDER STEPHEN HARPER’S CONSERVATIVES It’s true, although the numbers vary depending what’s included and what isn’t. Hunch: I bet this is because the policies that pass for conservative these days are generally not good for women, and women generally know this, which means the Conservatives have a smaller political appointment talent pool than the liberals.
7. WE’RE COMING UP ON THE ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE LAC-MEGANTIC DISASTER Here’s a recap.
8. NHL STAR CLAUDE GIROUX BUSTED FOR FELONIOUS ASS-GRABBING “Alcohol is believed to have been involved.”
9. ROB FORD RETURNS, HOLDS PHONY-BALONEY “PRESS CONFERENCE”, TAKES NO QUESTIONS Some media, including The Canadian Press and alternative weekly Now were excluded from the invite-only affair that The Toronto Star’s Royson James called an “odious infomercial”.
10. FIGHTING SNAKES WITH SNAKES Georgians frightened by (generally not life-threateningly) venomous copperheads are releasing “good” snakes to drive them away, which unfortunately for all the snakes involved will not work. In other news, I have acquired a Temporary Office Snake. I have named him Spooky.
VIDEO: THIS BILL MURRAY MOVIE LOOKS PLEASING It’s called St. Vincent. Here’s the trailer!