1. BEST! OF! FOOD! Hark! It’s time to celebrate the city’s ever-growing food and beverage scene by nominating your favourite Regina restaurants, pubs, food people and stuff like that. We have 90 categories this year–lots of new things and a few shuffled out just to mix things up (see you again next year, Best Ice Cream!). As always, this is a FUN THING TO DO so you should CLICK ON THIS LINK.
2. DID A FIGHT OVER FIRE SERVICE LEAD TO CHILDREN DYING? Ugh.
3. SUSPECT SURROUNDED The latest on a fugitive who’s accused of killing one teenager and abducting another.
4. WELCOME TO STRIP SEARCH SCHOOL A Quebec school might get sued after its principal strip searched a student. I think it’s nuts that any principal would WANT to have the authority to strip search students; seems like a recipe for ruining a career.
6. OLIVER SACKS IS DYING The neurologist who wrote books like Awakenings and the wildly entertaining and freaky The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat writes about his diagnosis with terminal cancer.
7. THE TELEGRAPH IS IN TROUBLE Did a legendary conservative newspaper protect an advertiser at the cost of its credibility? Sure looks like it.
8. YOUR NEIGHBOUR WANTS TO COME IN Also, your neighbour is not human.
9. VANILLA ICE CHARGED WITH BURGLARY Weird and stupid.
10. DID THE ONTARIO LIBERALS BRIBE A PROSPECTIVE CANDIDATE TO NOT RUN? Well, that wouldn’t be very democratic of them, would it?
11. ALBERTA PC LEADER SCREWS UP FREEDOM OF INFORMATION SYSTEM Good example why politicians should listen to their experts — their own “clever” ideas can be really destructive.
VIDEO: THE INFINITE HOTEL PARADOX The excellent blog Kottke alerted me to this concept and video, about an important thought experiment used to help us understand why we can’t comprehend infinity. I bet Brad Joyce will like it.