1. UN CLIMATE CHANGE UNDERWAY IN NEW YORK The U.S. president addresses the United Nations; city’s mayor calls climate change “an existential threat”; Canada’s oil-loving, environment-hating prime minister doesn’t show up; protesters are getting arrested; here’s a piece on the science of climate change denial; here’s a video of what climate change looks like; and The Guardian has a live-blog.
2. MEET THE NEW BRUNSWICK The province punts its Progressive Conservative government for the Liberals. Probably.
3. MIKE DUFFY’S TRIAL STARTS APRIL 7 It’s gonna be a good one.
4. REGINA RAISES BUS FARES I’m really not sure this was the way to go. We should be helping Reginans to change their unsustainable behaviours, and Regina’s bus system is already punitive — not enough routes, not enough frequency, no service on holidays, too hard to figure out how to get where you want to go. This seems to me like a job for up-front investments to increase ridership. Fare hikes, if necessary, should come later.
5. SASKATOON BUS LOCKOUT CONTINUES Ugh.
7. ISRAEL SHOOTS DOWN A SYRIAN PLANE Oh no they didn’t.
8. YOU HAD ME AT “CLEAVAGE ROW” But you kept me with this story about a modernizing society’s struggles with women’s autonomy and freedom, and the conflicts and contradictions that come with sexual objectification.
9. LAVALANTULA! This summer me and some friends brainstormed some ideas for future SyFy movies and one we kept coming back to was “Sharkcano”. Because we felt strongly that SyFy needed a monster movie with a volcano. Well, I guess great minds think alike because SyFy has announced their latest B-movie monsterfest and it’s called, yep, Lavalantula (starring Steve Guttenberg from Police Academy!). “Fire burns, lava bites.” Sounds, ah, is awesome the right word? Why not! But I hope SyFy realizes we’re gonna need a Sharknado Vs. Lavalantula movie. I can see the tagline: “It’s a sauna out there”; “Get steamed”; “Don’t get poached.” Epic.
A STINGRAY SAYS HELLO Animals are weird and adorable. (via Laughing Squid.)