1. WORLD DEMANDS ACTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE Yesterday was a rallypalooza. Locally, 150 people with informed concerns about humanity’s future rallied in the Queen City. Ahead of the U.N. climate summit (which starts tomorrow), the Rockefeller family says it’s disinvesting from fossil fuels. Also: The Wall Street Journal sucks.
2. “A TORRENT OF UGLY WORDS AND HATRED” Vicious online comments by Ragged Ass Barbers supporters land Regina in the national radio spotlight.
3. WILL COUNCIL RAISE TRANSIT FARES? Story here. Seems to me that if we want to encourage people to use more sustainable transportation (and we should), we should be careful about harsh prices. Meanwhile in Saskatoon, a transit lockout gets real.
4. QUEBEC, BIG TOBACCO AND A $17 BILLION LAWSUIT Final arguments have begun in Quebec superior court.
5. U.S.A. TO SPEND A TRILLION BUCKS ON NUKES OVER THREE DECADES Well, I guess $30 billion a year isn’t so bad OH WAIT, YES IT IS. I expected Obama to be a better president — and I don’t just mean “better than a Republican stooge”.
6. ISIS THREATENS CANADA Evil shitheads.
7. NEW BRUNSWICK GETS ALL ELECTIONEY The province hits the polls.
8. TORONTO MAYORAL CANDIDATE THREATENS TO DE-FUND PRIDE EVENTS BECAUSE SOMETIMES PEOPLE EXPRESS DIFFERENT OPINIONS ABOUT THINGS What an assholish, anti-freedom-of-speech thing to say.
KEANE EYES There’s finally a trailer for Tim Burton’s upcoming Margaret Keane biopic. Looks somewhat interesting.