1. EARTH WASN’T DEVASTATED BY AN ASTEROID TODAY! It’s always nice to start with the good news.
2. BIG, BADASS BLIZZARD A menacing winter storm is heading towards the U.S. East Coast. New York City officials say it could be “one of the most powerful blizzards ever recorded.” States of emergency have been declared. Hockey games might be postponed. Canada’s East Coast is preparing for power problems. You can read more from the CBC and BBC, and the Guardian has one of its helpful Liveblogs. In totally unrelated news from last week, the U.S. Senate voted that climate change is real while refusing to agree that it’s caused by humans. Because obviously scientists are wrong.
3. RECORD TEMPERATURES IN ALBERTA Here’s a story about that. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mention climate change.
4. AUSTERITY OUT OF THE AEGEAN? Sounds like the newly elected Greek government is gonna give the middle finger to Europe.
5. SLIPPERY SIDEWALKS All this fun melting and freezing has turned Regina sidewalks into nasty, dangerous things that hurt people. We now open the floor to sarcastic comments about the effectiveness of Regina’s Snowbuster campaign.
6. STRIPPERS: MENACE OR THREAT? Tonight’s City Council meeting should be a hoot. Also, has anyone pointed out that this proposed club used to be JD’s? Nickname: “Just Dirty’s”? And that bare boobs are nothing new to this building?
7. A TRAGIC REGINA FIRE WAS CAUSED BY AN UNATTENDED STOVE The Leader Post has the story, along with a video that will play automatically which is super fucking rude and annoying. I don’t mind commercials on L-P videos, but autoplay is bullshit that shows contempt for readers. Anyway, turn the volume down before you click the link.
8. DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT TILL THEY’RE SHOT Charlie Hebdo is back on firm financial ground after a bloody massacre reminded everyone that free speech is important.
9. WHO WANTS TO BET THIS LEGISLATION IS REALLY ABOUT SPYING ON CANADIAN ACTIVISTS, MEDIA AND HARPER’S POLITICAL ENEMIES? The federal Conservatives are up to something suspicious.
10. THE KING OF A COUNTRY THAT CHOPS OFF WOMEN’S HEADS IS STILL DEAD Didn’t blog on this last week, but just wanted to say: good riddance.
VIDEO: HOW ABOUT THAT ALL STAR GAME? Okay, a hockey score of 17-12 might be just a little ridiculous. Fun to watch though!