Ward You’re Running In: 8
Current Occupation: Retired School Administrator
Voter Information: www.mikeodonnell.ca, 545-7300, E-mail: email@example.com
After graduating from the U of R (B.Ed), I spent 30 years teaching in Regina, including as a school administrator and as the Commissioner of high school sport. Following retirement, I was hired by the Regina Soccer Association to build (with Evraz Place) the indoor soccer facility – Credit Union EventPlex.
During my two terms on Council, I have led efforts with infrastructure innovation and financing through the National Infrastructure Summits and the Morph our City competition.
I believe the Regina Revitalization Initiative is about city building and I support the construction of a new stadium.
My wife Loraine and I have seven children.
QUESTION AND ANSWER
1. Briefly, why are you running for council?
Many people have served as mentors and been strong leaders in my life. I wish to repay that kindness with service to my community.
2. What is the single most pressing issue facing Regina? How would you solve it?
Housing: We can advocate for solutions with senior government. We can partner with private industry – coupled with modern planning principles (accounting for increased density, incentives for infill housing and rental accommodation, welcoming new builds – such as carriage homes, for example) – and designing the complete neighbourhoods as encouraged by the Design Regina process.
3. Imagine the Regina Of The Future that you want to help build. What will it look like?
A community where the values of respect, compassion and integrity dominate. Innovation is a way of life. A respect for tradition is balanced with a willingness to take a risk.
4. Beyond immediate concerns like housing, the stadium and infrastructure renewal, what “big idea” project do you want to work on that nobody seems to be talking about?
Municipal Finance: Decrease our dependence upon the property tax and diversify the type of revenue a city may attain. Further, make a case for receiving an increased amount of the tax one already pays.
5. Name something the last council got right.
Continue to build a community that large numbers of people wish to move to and be a part of.
6. Now, point out their biggest mistake.
Did not commission a downtown traffic study prior to building the City Square.
7. What are you reading these days?
Any autobiography on the shelf.
8. Beyond your residence, do you own any property in Regina or in the immediate area?
* * * * *
1. What is your favourite Regina restaurant?
2. Who is your favourite Regina artist?
3. What actor would play you in the gritty cable drama, Queen City Hall?
4. How would your character die?
Fade to black – without attention
* * * * *
PICK A SIDE
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
Vampires or Werewolves? Werewolves
Boxing or Roller Derby?
Steak or Sushi? Steak
Hill Towers or Legislative Building? Legislative Buildings
Quance Street or Dewdney Avenue? Dewdney Ave
Artesian or Wascana Park Gazebo? Artesian
Prairie Dog or Richardson Ground Squirrel? Prairie Dog
Giant Grasshopper or Stegosaurus? Giant Grasshopper
Saskaboom or SaskAdvantage?
Bike or Sports Car? Bike
Le Macaron or Five Guys? Five Guys
The Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Rolling Stones
* * * * *
BONUS QUESTION: Make up your own question (And answer it, of course!)
Who scored the first touchdown in O’Neill High School history? Mike O’Donnell
* * * * *
Find out about all the other people running in this election on our Candidate Profiles page. And follow all of our online election coverage — including interviews, analysis and podcasts — on our Regina City Election 2012 page.