Ward You’re Running In: 2
Current Occupation: Communications Consultant
Voter Information: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.heather4regina.ca, @heather4regina
Heather was born and raised in south Regina. After graduating from Ryerson University in Toronto, she returned home where she settled into a career in television production, communications, and marketing. Heather and her husband Mark are the proud parents of 4 active kids.
Heather is an active volunteer for a number of important community initiatives, including:
• A founding executive member of Equal Voice (Saskatchewan Chapter),
• Regina Folk Festival
• REACH (Regina Education & Action on Child Hunger)
• Montessori School of Regina (Vice-President)
• Inaugural Mother Daughter Walk for the Heart and Stroke Foundation (co-chair)
• Community Advisory Board for Gemma House and Grace Haven (member).
QUESTION AND ANSWER
1. Briefly, why are you running for council?
It is exciting to see the changes and feel the energy that comes with the transformation Regina is experiencing. I believe we have one chance to get things right and want to be a part of the team that shapes Regina’s future.
2. What is the single most pressing issue facing Regina? How would you solve it?
Housing – work to remove restrictions (ie parking spaces) to allow for new construction for starters and then talk to folks in other cities who have implemented smart housing initiatives as well as working with local advocacy groups who have done much work on the issue.
3. Imagine the Regina Of The Future that you want to help build. What will it look like?
It is a city of compact communities – where you can live, work, shop and play in your neighbourhood. It has diverse housing options and safe and efficient transportation options for walking, cycling and transit as well as driving. The Regina of the future has citizens who are engaged and committed to fiscally, environmental and socially responsible growth.
4. Beyond immediate concerns like housing, the stadium and infrastructure renewal, what “big idea” project do you want to work on that nobody seems to be talking about?
I’ve committed to holding monthly office hours. It may not seem like a “big idea”, but in my experience, people are frustrated by the lack of communication from City Hall. By holding office hours, my constituents can easily find me to share not just concerns and complaints, but ideas for making our city better.
5. Name something the last council got right.
Initiating the Downtown Plan
6. Now, point out their biggest mistake.
The plaza – a good idea gone wrong with a design change, budget overruns and the continuing traffic questions.
7. What are you reading these days?
Lots of candidate questionaires – oh, and JK Rowling’s new book
8. Beyond your residence, do you own any property in Regina or in the immediate area?
* * * * *
1. What is your favourite Regina restaurant?
The Willow and Flip for serious, 5 Guys for burger and Sparky’s pizza for hungry volunteers
2. Who is your favourite Regina artist?
Gail Bowen – she shared an office with my dad WAY back, she taught my English 100 class and I love her novels.
3. What actor would play you in the gritty cable drama, Queen City Hall?
4. How would your character die?
Dramatically perhaps – rising to protest a vote not gone her way, she would begin to gasp for air but tries to continue – the issue is THAT important to her – her council colleagues run to her side with water and implore her to sit and rest, but she can’t, she must continue. Eventually she falls to the floor, Live on Access 7. End Credits.
* * * * *
PICK A SIDE
Cats or Dogs? DOGS!
Vampires or Werewolves? Vampires
Boxing or Roller Derby? Derby
Steak or Sushi? Steask
Hill Towers or Legislative Building? The Leg!
Quance Street or Dewdney Avenue? Dewdney
Artesian or Wascana Park Gazebo? Artesian
Prairie Dog or Richardson Ground Squirrel? P-Dog
Giant Grasshopper or Stegosaurus? grasshopper – with lights or flora it’s a fave.
Saskaboom or SaskAdvantage?
Bike or Sports Car? bike
Le Macaron or Five Guys? depends on the mood. (but 5 Guys is in Ward 2, just sayin!)
The Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Beatles
* * * * *
BONUS QUESTION: Make up your own question (And answer it, of course!)
* * * * *
Find out about all the other people running in this election on our Candidate Profiles page. And follow all of our online election coverage — including interviews, analysis and podcasts — on our Regina City Election 2012 page.