1. RACHEL NOTLEY BANS DESTRUCTION OF ALBERTA GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS Yup. Despite a week of shredding, I bet there’s still gonna be some juicy stuff found.
2. U.S. SPYAPALOOZA TAKES ANOTHER HIT I have zero faith that enough American politicians actually want to
reign rein-in the out-of-control NSA — seriously, that country is barely a democracy at this point, what with phone record collection continuing after a court ruled last week that it’s illegal — but still, this is good news.
3. CONSERVATIVES RE-WRITE LAWS TO PROTECT LAW-BREAKING AUTHORITIES Canada’s Conservative government remains awful.
4. QUEBEC SCHOOLS WILL NO LONGER STRIP-SEARCH STUDENTS I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Quebec schools have been strip-searching students.
5. MASSIVE LOSS OF BEE COLONIES Two out of every five U.S. honeybee colonies died off over the last year. Not good.
6. MEET THE LAST MALE WHITE RHINO ON THE PLANET He’s beautiful. I hate poachers.
7. WAY TO GO, IRELAND There’s a referendum on same-sex marriage coming up in Ireland, but alas, those who think same-sex couples should have fewer rights than opposite-sex couples say people keep getting mad at them and call them bigots. Boo fucking-hoo. You can support marriage equality in Ireland here.
8. WHERE DID THIS #FHRITP GARBAGE START, ANYWAY? As a YouTube hoax, it turns out. There’s a summary of the “fuck her right in the pussy” harassment incident here, and Gawker (because why not) weighs in here.
9. TEEN TAKES ON DRESS CODE A high school student wearing a summer dress gets suspended, calls B.S.
10. U.S. SNAKE KEEPERS WIN INJUNCTION AGAINST PYTHON BAN A judge listened to facts over “because-I-say-so” arguments. Good. Let’s celebrate with that video of the late, great Julius having a bath.